Liability Insurance

Liability Insurance for Canadian Healing Touch Practitioners

A question that commonly comes up between members of HTAC (Healing Touch Association of Canada) is, “where can I obtain Canadian liability insurance for my Healing Touch practice?” In an effort to answer this question for members the HTAC Board of Directors recently conducted an e-mail survey which was sent to all active members.
Neither HBB nor HTP insurance coverage is available to Canadian residents so we are left with finding private liability insurance to cover our practices. We surveyed our members to ask the names of companies who supply this service to HT practitioners in Canada. Thanks to all members who participated in the survey. We appreciate your responses. We hope the information we have collected and summarized is useful to you.

Important notes:

HTAC is NOTselling liability insurance. We surveyed our membership to ask the names of companies who supply this service to HT practitioners in Canada.

Inclusion of a company in the information below does NOT indicate endorsement by HTAC.

Please make your own enquires to the companies below if you are interested in liability insurance for your practice.

Our Survey Results

  • 54 members responded to our survey. This was a return rate of 26%.
  • 93% of respondents labelled themselves as Healing Touch Practitioners.
  • 59% of the above group have a professional practice.
  • 30% of the above group have liability insurance.
  • 100% who have liability insurance are satisfied with their liability insurance company and would recommend it to their family and HT colleagues.
  • Responding members incurred costs ranging from $185 – $435 annually for liability insurance.

Companies named by HTAC members are:

LacknerMcLennan Insurance Ltd. (3 members)

Natural Health Practitioners of Canada (NHPC) (5 members)

Impact Insurance Brokers Preventative Health Services (3 members)

Affiliation with a Registered Nursing association (3 members)

RITMA (Quebec) (1 member)

Whillis Harding Agencies located in Kelowna BC (1 member)


Your home insurance policy may provide protection for you from “slips and falls”. It will not provide protection against claims such as malpractice or libel/slander.

People who are insured with a professional body (e.g. nursing, physiotherapy, etc.) need to specifically clarify whether their insurance covers their HT work; it’s not wise to assume without verification.

Questions to ask yourself when considering a company selling liability insurance:

  1. Do you treat only family and friends at no cost or do you charge for your services? In other words, would your practice be construed as a business?
  2. Do you volunteer your services with a hospice, social services agency or non-profit organizations? If so, are you covered under their insurance?
  3. Does your practice make enough to cover the insurance? If it does not, are you going to carry the expense anyway?
  4. What is your comfort level when you consider going without liability insurance? Going without insurance may be a risk. You need to balance the perceived risk against your own comfort level.
  5. What type of coverage do I need? Look at your working environment and situation (e.g. home practice, practice group, employee, etc.)
  1. Are there different levels of coverage available? (e.g. student, practitioner, instructor)
  2. What modalities do they cover?
  3. What are the criteria needed for HT coverage?
  4. What exactly is covered under the policy? What are the exclusions on the policy?
  1. Someone working in their own home needs to verify if their insurer will cover them for running a business in their home. If so, to what extent is the coverage? What extra riders are needed on their policy?
  2. Someone working in a clinic environment needs to verify what insurance is provided for their clients. If you are renting a room in the clinic is the coverage for all areas in the clinic or just in your rental space? You want the client covered from the moment they walk in the door to the time they leave so not just for the room you have rented.
  3. Ask to see a copy of the wordings for the coverage provided by the insurer for both the physical room used but also for any liability issues, i.e. person falls on the premises, slips, etc. This way one can read over the exact wordings for coverage and exclusions. Then there should be no surprises if there is a need to make a claim as they know prior to signing the dotted line what is and what is not covered.
  1. How do I file a claim?
  2. What can I expect if I file a claim?
  3. What is the company history in handling claims of this type?
  1. What is the Claims experience on the insurer for this type of risk? Have they been doing it for a while, or just beginning to insure HT people, massage therapists, etc.?
  2. What is the standard deductible? Does purchasing a higher deductible lower the premium and by how much?

Considering liability insurance is an important step in your practice. Examine your practice carefully to decide if it is a necessary for you.